KEMBLE SARAWAK UNITED CHURCH - 2016
Small country church in Kemble, Ontario originally built in 1900 was partially burned & reconstructed in 1950. Report focused on re-insulation & ventilation of Sanctuary roof & provisions for a small expansion & barrier-free accessibility
427 LONDON WING - 2016
This branch of the Royal Canadian Air Force Association in London, needed help with a problematic crawl space under their one storey building which was built in 1939 as an Airman’s Canteen & is believed to be the last representative & still used building of its kind in Southwestern Ontario.
TEESWATER TOWN HALL - 2016
Built in 1869 this Hall has continuously provided a theatrical second floor & main floor dance hall for the communities of Teeswater & South Bruce. The report focused on solutions for a problematic crawl space under the main floor dance hall & solutions for restoration of with its sprung wood dance floor.
RIDGE HOUSE MUSEUM - 2015
Existing 1875 Gothic Revival wood framed & wood sided house, located in Ridgetown, Ontario, is operated as a House Museum by the Municipality of Chatham-Kent. Report was done to help rectify a mould & mildew problem in the basement, make recommendations about removal of exterior lead-based paint, and assess future expansion needs for a programming room, artifact & archival storage, barier-free washroom facilities, offices, etc. to be housed in a timber-framed barn-like addition.
BOTHWELL TOWN HALL - 2014
Build in 1915, in an Edwardian Classical Style, report evaluated the historic character defining elements of this Town Hall as the existing second floor live theatre is to have code required life safety upgrades.
WALKERTON LIBRARY – 2013
Carneigie Library built 1913, expanded 1987, and renovated 2011. Report investigated structural and maintenance concerns.
BRUCE COUNTY JAIL – 2012
Located in Walkerton, Ontario, original stone gaol and stone – walled exercise yards built in 1866 in continuous operation until the Province of Ontario closed it in 2011. Report summarizes the Jail's history, reviews its historical architectural style, and evaluates it for Adaptive Re-Use. Local communities do not want it to be torn down. Report offers numerous suggestions for Adaptive Re-Use in hopes the Municipality of Brockton can lead the way to see the stone building rehabilitated.
ST. IGNATIUS CENTRE – 2011
Located in Deemerton, Ontario, a former Catholic stone church built in 1872 and its stone Rectory built circa 1880 is now operated by The St. Ignatius Preservation Society for cultural, religious and community retreats, education and social activities. Report summarized the facility's history and provides professional advice about restoration work required on the exterior of the original fied stone load- bearing walls restoration of the original Georgian wood sash windows,and replacement of existing roof.
HIGHGATE UNITED CHURCH – 2010
Initially built in 1898 with an interior skylight stained glass dome, this Church was designed by its Minister, Rev. T. T George, in a unique Romanesque Palladian style. The church burned in 1917. In 1918, the Church was rebuilt almost identically as it was first built in 1898. The existing duplicate Church was evaluated for adaptive-reuse as The Mary Webb Centre for
the enjoyment of music concerts,art studios , and a community centre.
THE MCKINLAY BLOCK – 2010
Commercial Block Building built in 1877 and 1878 on the Main Street, of Ridgetown, Ontario is one of the largest buildings of this type built in Ontario. All of its seven original storefronts are still in situ and the building boasts a third floor opera hall. The building as evaluated for municipal historic designation and historic restoration. The heritage value of the exterior of the McKinlay Block is a priceless existing unaltered resource that should be respected and used as the definitive reference for this type of commercial block building built at corners and along Main Streets throughout Ontario.
ST. GEORGE'S ANGLICAN CHURCH – 2010
Designed by Architect Marshall Aylesworth this Gothic Church was built in 1852 as one of the four stone churches at Salvation Corners in Owen Sound, Ontario. Report examines and evaluates building for future upgrades which will be required to existing slate roof, exterior stonework, and barrier- free accessibility as the congregation plans for future community-oriented activities.
DALESEND – 2010
A Gothic farmhouse built circa 1860 north of Shelburne, Ontario originally constructed with its wood-framed walls filled with concrete was evaluated for municipal designation.
FARNELL HOUSE ROOF – 2010
Original attic and slate roof of Edwardian house built in the late 1880's in Wingham, Ontario was reviewed in order to prevent recurring ice dam problems.
GOTHIC CHURCH at MENNONITE CORNERS – 2008
Small board & batten Church building, built in 1888 near Owen Sound, is evaluated for adaptive reuse as a multi-use community hall.
LAKESIDE GRAIN & FEED – 2008
During the 1890’s, the J & J Kerr Company built, Lakeside’s small Queen Anne building, as the offices of their oil & construction empire. Report evaluates the building’s feasibility to be moved and refurbished to become part of the Petrolia Library, located in the old Railway Station on Petrolia’s Historic Main Street.
GODERICH LIGHTHOUSE – 2007
Built in 1847, this lighthouse is one of the first built along the shore of Lake Huron. Report assesses the Lighthouse’s current condition and recommends required maintenance.
WILLIAM BRAUND HOUSE – 2007
Evaluation of 1870 Neo-Classical Georgian House, formerly the Dunnville Library, located on the banks of the Grand River, for adaptive re-use as a community facility for cultural heritage, tourist information, Grand River history, Dunnville’s history, and the Dunnville District Heritage Association
CPR RAILWAY STATION – 2006
Built in 1907 down at the beach in Goderich, Ontario, the Station was used by the CPR up until 1988. Now owned by the municipality, the station has been used as a community center by the Maitland Trail Association and local cultural and arts organizations. At this time its fate as a community center is uncertain. This ACO report was done to help the current user groups as they lobby the municipality for continued use of the CPR Railway Station as a cultural community centre.
THE PAISLEY INN – 2006
The current owner wishes to restore, repair, and eventually re-adapt the use of the Paisley Inn which was built in 1863 in Paisley, Ontario. This ACO report was done to assist the current owner with legal battles with the municipality’s Chief Building Official who wants the Paisley Inn demolished.
BIRTHPLACE of HOMER WATSON – 2005
Homer Watson is internationally recognized as one of Canada's Premier Landscape Painters. His birthplace is the "plank-on-plank" timber house located in the Upper Doon Heritage Conservation District at 1021 Doon Village Road, Kitchener, Ontario. The house is located near the Homer Watson Gallery and the Doon Heritage Crossroads Village. The house is currently in a run-down state of disrepair and neglect. Report was done in hopes to provide the owner with information about appropriate restoration, repairs, and maintenance.
SARAWAK UNITED CHURCH – 2005
This small country Church was built in 1875 and was moved to its present location, north of Owen Sound, Ontario in 1895. Report will help the congregation maintain the authenticity of the only Victorian Church still standing in Sarawak Township.
211 HALL'S MILL ROAD – 2003
A historical and architectural evaluation of a timber framed saltbox house built in the 1830's in the water powered mill village of Westminster, which is now the Byron area of London, Ontario.
THREE LOG CABINS – 2002
An architectural evaluation of the Chippewa Log Cabin circa 1822, the Oneida Log Cabin circa 1850, and the Muncey Log Cabin circa 1882 at the Longwoods Road Conservation Area and the Ska-Nah-Doht "a village stands again" recreated Iroquoian Village located near Mount Brydges, Ontario.
HARMONY HOUSE – 2001
Camp Kintail, the Presbyterian Church camp, near Amberley, Ontario on Lake Huron focuses around it original wooden lodge building called Harmony House which was by built in the 1930's. Report evaluated required repairs and upgrades.
LIBBEY GLASS COMPANY – 1999
Originally The Syndenham Glass Company, started glass production in Wallaceburg, Ontario in 1894, locally known as "The Glass". In 1913 it became the Dominion Glass Company, later DomGlass and then Libbey Glass which closed its doors in 1999 after more than 100 years of world renowned machine glass production. Report focused on how to establish a historic record of "The New House" built in 1908, one of the original brick buildings which housed the glass furnaces, before its inevitable demolition.
MOVING SPRINGBANK SCHOOL – 1998
The one room schoolhouse, S.S. #7 East Williams Township, was built in 1878. The report determined it was feasible to move it to a new home as part of the Ailsa Craig District Museum and Chapel at Alisa Craig, Ontario.
THE MAITLAND MILL – 1997
An architectural evaluation of the Leech Grist Mill built in 1856 along the Maitland River in Gorrie, Ontario. Report analyzed the timber framed grist mill for the Maitland Mill Association whose goal was to restore the grist mill back to a fully operating water powered mill.
EVALUATION OF MASONRY ON TOWER – 1997
Evaluation of existing masonry conditions on the tower of St. James Anglican Church in Stratford, Ontario.
ACO "Preservation Works!" Reports
ACO’s 80th ANNIVERSARY THE ARCHITECTURAL CONSERVANCY OF ONTARIO
“80 FOR 80” BOOK PUBLICATION
The Architectural Conservancy of Ontario ACO celebrated its 80th Anniversary in 2013. They commemorated this with a book entitled, “80 for 80” featuring 80 heritage buildings
that were saved, restored, and / or adaptively re-used with ACO assistance. In this book, John Rutledge Architect is recognized for having done the ACO “Preservation Works!” reports for Highgate United Church 1918 in Highgate, The McKinlay Block 1878 which included a third floor multi-purpose Victorian Opera Hall in Ridgetown, the Goderich Lighthouse 1847, the Maitland Mill 1856 in Gorrie, St. Ignatius Church 1872 & Rectory 1880 in Deemerton, the Paisley Inn 1856, and for being
the Architect for the Restoration & Adaptive re-use of the 1923 Dance Pavillion in Kincardine.
THE "PRESERVATION WORKS!" PROGRAM
The following Reports were done by John Rutledge Architect for
The Architectural Conservancy of Ontario ACO
10 Adelaide Street East, Suite 403, Toronto, Ontario M5C 1J3 416-367-8075
contact - Rollo Meyers, General Manager
BIRTHPLACE of HOMER WATSON
Photograph of North Front of House circa 1858-1860.
It is believed that one of the children in the photo is Homer Watson.
Photo was supplied by Homer Watson House and Gallery.
Note the tree the lady is holding in the photograph is still in existance in the front of the house, about 145 years after the photo was taken. If the existing tree were to be dated, the age of the photograph could be further verified.
Buying an Older Home?
Restoring A Heritage Building?
Concerned About A Threatened Structure?
Is it structually sound? Do you need information on repair, upgrade, and restoration approches?
Interested in an architectural description and evaluation? Interested in its history?
Contact the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario ACO for professional advice. For more than 30 years,
the ACO has been providing - for a nominal fee - preliminary advice on a wide range of heritage conservation concerns.
We match clients with one of our Preservation Works! Professionals - conservation architects, engineers,
landscape architects, archaelogist and historians - who will make a site visit to investigate, and deliver a brief
but significant preliminary written report.
Preservation Works! is available to private residential and commercial property owners, museums, historical societies,
goverment departments, municipal heritage committees, and citizen's groups across Ontario.
A service fee is charged to pay for administration costs. In addition, the client reimburses the project consultant
for anyof his or her out-of-pocket expenses.
To request a Preservation Works! professional contact:
Architectural Conservancy of Ontario ACO
10 Adelaide Street East, Suite 204
Toronto, Ontario M5C 1J3 telephone (416) 367-8075 fax (416) 367-8630
For further information about the ACO'S programs, activities and events,
call (416) 367-8075, email us at or visit us at