After Hotel was moved to Pickering Museum Village & before restoration
After Hotel was moved again onto a new permanent foundation & before restoration
After Hotel was authentically restored
BROUGHAM CENTRAL HOTEL RESTORATION
Top Left Photo
Innkeeper’s Residence stairway during restoration
Top Right Photo
Innkeeper’s Residence stairway after restoration. Some original wood panelling found in the building was used to restore this stairway that
had been removed. As building is viewed by general public at Museum Village, handrails were added for safety, they were painted black
as stairs would have had no handrails originally.
Bottom Left Photo
Interior of Hotel Tap Room before restoration
Bottom Right Photo
Interior of Hotel Tap Room after restoration. On-site Investigations proved that wood floors & horizontal wood plank walls had never been painted and timber beams & bottoms of wood floor boards above
had been painted therefore interior was restored to original condition
BAYFIELD UNITED CHURCH
John Rutledge Architect helped the Congregation of this Church realize an addition
that provided barrier-free accessibility, an elevator lift, barrier-free washrooms,
and a much needed meeting room in the attic of the new addition.
The two tall stained glass lancet windows in the addition were relocated from
the original Santuary when the addition was built.
The use of original windows in this new addition architecturally achieve
a historically sympathetic relationship between the old and the new.
(new addition is on right side of photo)
Carnegie Library - built in 1910
was restored & expanded to provide continued library services as a
Branch of the Huron County Library System.
Addition to the left side of the South Side photograph, foreground
of the SouthWest Corner photograph, and right side of the North
Side photograph illustrate how the architectural design of the
New Addition is contextually sympathetic to the original
architecture of the Carnegie Library
Restoration, Conversion, and Adaptive-Reuse
of the WINGHAM BRANCH of the
HURON COUNTY LIBRARY
The Town of Wingham never built a Carnegie Library in the late 1800's or early 1900's.
In the late 1980's, Chris Borgal Architect and his staff architect John Rutledge rehabilitated Wingham's original 1874 Temperance Hall into a new library facility.
In 2013, this library was re-named THE ALICE MUNRO LIBRARY.
The Interior Features of the
WINGHAM BRANCH of the HURON COUNTY LIBRARY
The elliptical arch (in the lower right photo) is the original proscenium arch from the Temperance Hall’s original stage.
The configuration of the six ceiling coffers was created from a pattern of wall paper borders that were on the original ceiling in the Temperance Hall.
THE WIGHAM RAILWAY STATION
John Rutledge Architect restored, converted &
adaptively-reused this building into Administration
Offices for Town & County Support Services now
known as OneCare Home & Community Support Services. “Before” photos to the Left, “After”
photos to the Right
INTERIOR of the WINGHAM RAILWAY STATION
The original waiting room was 22’-0’’ high (lower right photo).
A Second Floor (lower left photo) was constructed inside the original waiting room to internally expand the facility without having to add an addition to the building which conserved the original exterior.
A new stairway & new second floor balcony are interesting features of the Reception & Entrance
(top two photos).
The Brougham Central Hotel built in the 1840’s in the Village of Brougham, Ontario was moved to the Pickering Museum Village when the 407 toll
highway was built.
The main part of the Hotel is a timber framed building and the innkeeper House part of
the Hotel is a vertical plank framed building.
The building was moved again to a new foundation. The interior and exterior of the building was authentically restored to an 1840’s time period open to the public at the Pickering Museum Village.